Saturday, November 06, 2010

Turning on the McRib: are Ribbers sub-Twitter?

Yes, the McRib is back. Does absence make the heart grow fonder? Not at one Houston blog:

Ahh, the taste of self-loathing...it tasted like unnaturally lumpy meat formed into the shape of riblets, topped with a bit of sweet sauce with the kick of an onion and the tart of a pickle. There was no denying it -- this McRib was not what I remembered my 10-year old self enjoying. The craving morphed into disgust as I attempted to eat the rest of the sandwich. The McRib I had loved from afar for the last two decades was McNasty.

As I tossed the uneaten remainders of my now-imploded dream into the trash, I couldn't help but reminisce about the good ol' days when we used to have so much fun, but as the lid closed shut, I realized the McRib was officially dead to me.


In terms of advertising the return of the Rib, McDonald's purchased Twitter's Promoted Trend for Friday, Nov. 5, to push the "McRib".

The results weren't all good. Carri Bugbee was quoted on Clickz:

"What I would worry about most if I were McDonald's is that the vast majority of the tweets are nasty or snarky. I would definitely like to see the sentiment analysis at the end of the day. I am not a huge believer in machine sentiment analysis because it's still kind of voodoo. But this case will be an easy one. You just have to do a quick look-see at the tweets."

Voodoo?? Sounds like Quillen's patent grant rate analysis!

As to the McRib, Bugbee suggested that Ribbers were sub-Twitter:

"I don't know if the folks on Twitter are really their target audience. I don’t know who the target audience is for the McRib. But I am going to guess it's probably younger and less affluent, and that's not really where Twitter is probably going to work [as a marketing channel]."

1 Comments:

Blogger Carri Bugbee said...

I got a huge laugh out of reading your post. Sub-Twitter?! Good one. I'm going to appropriate that phrase sometime in the future.

@CarriBugbee

11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home