Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Gobsmacked!

In a patent context, the term "gobsmacked" was related to the patents of BlackBoard:

Michael Feldstein is translating Backboard's patents into plain English and will post the results soon; "When you see what they are actually claiming to have invented, you will be well and truly gobsmacked." I'm already gobsmacked.

More recently, of the veined octopus and coconut shells:

"I was gobsmacked," said Finn, a research biologist at the museum who specializes in cephalopods. "I mean, I've seen a lot of octopuses hiding in shells, but I've never seen one that grabs it up and jogs across the sea floor. I was trying hard not to laugh."

Octopuses often use foreign objects as shelter. But the scientists found the veined octopus going a step further by preparing the shells, carrying them long distances and reassembling them as shelter elsewhere.


from http://apnews.myway.com/article/20091215/D9CJNOG80.html

Within slowtrav:

But viewing Giotto's Padova frescos describing the lives of Mary and her son Jesus was an incredible experience. The brilliant colours of these frescos are still so fresh, it seems to me, and the characters seem so simply painted yet convey so much emotion that I was truly gobsmacked (BTW, I have a patent pending on the use of that word.)

http://www.slowtrav.com/blog/sandrac/2009/06/dazed_and_dazzled_1.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home