Sunday, July 02, 2006

"How not to get a job"

Federalism has the text of an email sent by a rejected job applicant (from Baton Rouge) sent to Vinson & Elkins seeking reconsideration.

Others have singled out the next-to-last paragraph of the email ["pink shirt"], but here is another to consider:

I sensed that some of my interviewers were uncomfortable with the fact that I am not committed to a specific substantive area of law. I would argue, however, that the tools that we bring to the table as lawyers are far more important than the direct, "relevant" experience we bring. "Practical" experience is no substitute for creative intelligence, intellectual sophistication, and pure tenacity. The career clerk in my judge's chambers has 20+ years of experience, so she knows a lot of things that I don't know. But she is not in my league as a legal analyst and writer. I have seen enough during my clerkship to say with confidence that I am capable of better work - far better work - than most of the "experienced" attorneys who practice before my judge.

For those who might not remember, V&E defended Prodigy against British Telecommunications [BT] in the "hypertext" patent case. Kenyon & Kenyon represented BT and lost on summary judgment.

***

The law school at Northwestern University is

rated number 12 in the 2007 US News ranking
.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home